Friday, August 28, 2009

the list #5

#5 watch a movie you would not normally pick out.

Tonight we went to see District 9. Our friend Nate just got back from his bachelor vacation and we wanted to hang out with him and he and tony wanted to see District 9, which I was not that excited about, but thought I would go and give it a shot, and fulfill this number on the list.

It was alright. I have a lot of opinions about the movie, none of which are super positive, but it was interesting and held my attention for the majority of the movie, despite being tired.

Afterward, we had what I considered a normal post intense movie discussion which turned into an argument between Tony and I which totally sucked. Plus, we left the kitchen a mess as we ran out to catch the movie on time after a disappointing dinner at home. And now, we came home to discover our newly fixed garage door has been open since we left. Thankfully it appears nothing has gone missing or been ransacked through.

But overall my District 9 experience was negative. Tony thought I was reading too much into it, and I thought he wasn't letting me just express my opinions about the movie. Either way, it turned into a disappointing night, and it just reminded me of why I stick to the general genres of movies I like. I don't want to pay to see something that is going to provoke such a discussion that it becomes a fight, or makes me think about creepy aliens.

I think for something that intellectual, read a book, or a short story, or a news article. For me, movies and/or TV are a release, something I don't want to have to think about or feel like it requires analyzing.

I would rather talk about something that actually matters, like politics or our own society, instead of arguing about some extremist view from some writers and directors they decided to put on screen.

Therefore, even though many loved the movie, I was not that impressed. I did not see how it wasn't just a Cloverfield-AvP movie all over again.

So there. That was my #5 expererience. Our treat for the weekend, and I just feel worse.

No comments:

Post a Comment